Friends of Coal-KentuckyJun 1st, 2012
Show Your Support for Kentucky Coal!
EPA Hearings and Pre-Hearing Rally: June 5
Register to Speak
Everyone that supports coal directly/indirectly needs to show their support by participating at one of the hearings listed above. We encourage everyone to sign up in advance to speak. It's imperative that we show our support for an Industry that has done so much for Kentucky. http://www.kycoalminehearings.com/registration.
At the request of the Kentucky Energy and Environment Cabinet, the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) will conduct public hearings in Frankfort on June 5 regarding EPA objections to 36 individual KPDES permits that would authorize wastewater discharges from new or expanded surface coal mining activities in eastern Kentucky. The EPA objections have prevented the issuance of all individual Clean Water Act permits for new or expanded surface coal mining activities in eastern Kentucky for more than 2 years. The economic effect of the EPA objections has been significant in that the 19 most recent objections alone are estimated to have cost Kentucky 3,800 coal-related jobs and more than $123,000,000 in coal severance taxes. The Kentucky Coal Association, the Commonwealth of Kentucky and the City of Pikeville have challenged the legal validity of the EPA guidance giving rise to the permit objections in litigation pending in Washington D.C.
The upcoming hearings (which were requested approximately 1 Â½ years ago) provide interested parties an opportunity for input on the EPA objections, their legal basis and their economic impact. Testimony can be submitted in written form or by oral presentation (limited to 2 minutes per speaker). Upon conclusion of the hearings, EPA can confirm, modify or withdraw its objections and the Kentucky Energy and Environment Cabinet will be afforded an opportunity to revise the permits to conform to EPA's final decision.
Times and Locations
* 5 pm-7 pm: A Pre-Hearing Rally will be held in between the Capitol Plaza Hotel and the Frankfort Convention Center at 405 Mero Street, Frankfort, KY. Elected officials, pro-coal advocates, and invited guests will speak about the dangers of the EPA's actions to Kentucky jobs.
* 7 pm- 11 pm: The public hearing will be held at the Frankfort Convention Center, 405 Mero Street, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601.
To learn more about the Region 4 EPA's scheduled Kentucky Coal Mine Permits Public Hearings: http://www.epa.gov/region4/kycoalminehearings/logistics.html
Directions to the Capital Plaza Tower:
From the west (Louisville)
* From the west on I-64, take Frankfort exit #53B onto U.S. Hwy. 127 (north from Lawrenceburg).
* Stay on U.S. 127, crossing U.S. Hwy. 60, and descending to the Kentucky River.
* After crossing the bridge, turn left at the stoplight onto Wilkinson Blvd.
* Go through the stoplight at the intersection of Wilkinson Blvd. and Mero St. (There will be a Holiday Inn on the right.)
* The next right turn will be into the Capital Plaza Tower parking garage.
From the east (Lexington)
* From the east on I-64, take Frankfort exit #58 at U.S. Hwy. 60.
* Turn right onto U.S. 60 (east from Versailles).
* At the junction of U.S. 60 and U.S. 421, turn left onto State Route 676 (East-West Connector).
* (Follow this curving road to the second traffic light.)
* Turn right onto State Route 1659 (Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.).
* Turn left onto E. Main St. at the first traffic light. Descend the hill, through two traffic lights, passing the Frankfort Cemetery on your left.
* Continue through downtown Frankfort on W. Main St. until it intersects with Wilkinson Blvd. (U.S. 421) at a stop sign.
* At the stop sign, turn right onto Wilkinson Blvd.
At the second light you will see the Holiday Inn. The next right turn following the third light at the Wilkinson Blvd. and Mero St. intersection is the Capital Plaza Tower parking garage.
340 South Broadway | Lexington, Kentucky 40508